One of the primary responsibilities of the Office of Carol Taylor, Wood County Tax Assessor-Collector, is to collect, record and disburse property taxes.

When the certified tax roll is received from the Wood County Appraisal District, the property values are loaded on the Tax Office's computer system. The certified tax roll and the tax rates adopted by each taxing jurisdiction are used to levy the current property taxes in October of each year. Tax statements are then generated and mailed to property owners and mortgage companies.

Current taxes that remain unpaid as of February 1 of the year following the year in which imposed are delinquent and are assessed penalty and interest. For Business personal property and mobile homes in Quitman ISD, City of Quitman, Yantis ISD and City of Yantis will be charged 20% attorney fee April 1 of each year if not paid before March 31. For other taxes that remain delinquent on July 1 of the year in which they become delinquent may incur an additional penalty of up to 20% Attorney Fee.

The Tax Office disburses the taxes to the various taxing entities for which it serves as collector.

Property Tax Collections

We collect taxes for:

  • Wood County
  • Waste Disposal District
  • Wood County Central Hospital District (for property in Quitman ISD)
  • Alba / Golden I.S.D.
  • Alba City
  • Big Sandy I.S.D. (properties located in Wood County)
  • Emergency Service District #1
  • Harmony I.S.D. (properties located in Wood County)
  • Hawkins I.S.D.
  • Hawkins City
  • Quitman City
  • Union Hill I.S.D. (property located in Wood County)
  • Quitman I.S.D.
  • Yantis I.S.D.
  • Yantis City
  • Winnsboro City
  • Winnsboro ISD

Statements are mailed for the current year's taxes the first week of October. If not paid by February 1st of the following year, penalty is added and accrues each month. On July 1st, up to a 20% attorney's fee is added.

Any exemptions, which could be applied, should be filed with the Wood County Appraisal District. Also, any changes in address, ownership or exemptions with appraisals should be reported to that office. Any disagreement with appraisals should also be discussed with that office.